On this page:
20 November 2023
17 January 2024
13 February 2024
Commencing week of 25 March 2024
The Minister for Planning has appointed a joint inquiry and advisory committee to advise on the proposed Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project.
VHM Limited (the Proponent) proposes to develop the Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project (the project) which has an approximate area of 1,500 hectares in the Loddon Mallee Region of Victoria, approximately 35 kilometres south of Swan Hill.
The project would involve the mining and processing of heavy mineral sands and rare earth minerals into mixed heavy mineral concentrate (HMC), zircon concentrate, rutile, leucoxene, ilmenite, as well as rare earth mineral products.
The project includes:
- Mining and processing of 5 million tonnes per annum of heavy mineral sands within two mining areas to produce a variety of critical mineral concentrates, over an estimated 20-to-25-year mine life
- Transport of product using sealed sea containers via road to the Ultima intermodal terminal and railed to the Port of Melbourne for overseas export
- Progressive rehabilitation of mined areas and the return of the land to agricultural land uses over three to five years
- Establishing a 38km water supply pipeline capable of supplying up to 4.5GL/per annum from Kangaroo Lake to the mine
- Electrical power needed for mining and processing during operation, requiring a maximum 5 megawatts of power consumption
- Upgrading various local roads to support project and transport of product to Ultima.
The committee has been asked to advise the minister on the Environment Effects Statement, draft planning scheme amendment GC218 to the Gannawarra and Swan Hill Planning Schemes, Environment Protection Authority (EPA) development licence application and public submissions on the proposed project.
Inquiry and advisory committee members
To view and download the Environment Effects Statement, draft planning scheme amendment, EPA development licence application and other documents for this project, see Goschen Mineral Sands and Rare Earths Project.
Terms of reference
Make a submission
Submissions to the committee can be made at Engage Victoria.
Need help putting together a submission?
Read our guide about submissions and how the process works.
For more information about the Goschen Mineral Sands EES process:
Impact Assessment Unit
Department of Transport and Planning
For questions about the EPA development licence application contact:
1300 372 842
Accessibility and assistance
Deaf, hearing or speech impaired? Please contact the National Relay Service on 133 677 or www.relayservice.gov.au.
Page last updated: 20/11/23